Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love egg salad and recently discovered this recipe. Quite different from the ordinary with the addition of fried onions and/or bacon.
- Mash the hard-boiled eggs. Don't mash them too fine.
- If using onions, heat the oil in a skillet and add the onions. Sautee until they turn golden brown.
- Add the onions or bacon (or for the ultimate version, both!), mayonnaise, and salt to the chopped eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Taste and adjust the level of salt. If you like a creamier texture, add a little more mayonnaise.
- Serve in a bowl if using as a brunch spread. If serving as a lunch salad, surround a generous scoop with lettuce, tomato wedges, and sliced cucumbers.
I made the version with onions. It was a 4-star for flavor but a 3 star for looks. Because the onions were sauteed until browned, the egg salad seemed to have a brownish tone to it when the onions got mixed in.