Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I love egg salad and recently discovered this recipe. Quite different from the ordinary with the addition of fried onions and/or bacon.
- 8 large eggs, hard boiled
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (more, or less, to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion, more if you love onions (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 slices freshly made crisp bacon, crumbled (optional)
- Mash the hard-boiled eggs. Don't mash them too fine.
- If using onions, heat the oil in a skillet and add the onions. Sautee until they turn golden brown.
- Add the onions or bacon (or for the ultimate version, both!), mayonnaise, and salt to the chopped eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Taste and adjust the level of salt. If you like a creamier texture, add a little more mayonnaise.
- Serve in a bowl if using as a brunch spread. If serving as a lunch salad, surround a generous scoop with lettuce, tomato wedges, and sliced cucumbers.
I made the version with onions. It was a 4-star for flavor but a 3 star for looks. Because the onions were sauteed until browned, the egg salad seemed to have a brownish tone to it when the onions got mixed in.