Recipe by zepharum
The best gluten free carrot cake I've ever had! The use of mayo may seem odd but it really does a lot for the texture, don't try to substitute it - you just won't get the same results.
Top Review by Suzy mom to 2
Intrigued by the use of mayo I tried out this cake but am sorry to say I didn't like the result at all. The smell and taste of the mayonaise did not merge with the other flavors like I expected. I froze some of it (that sometimes works wonders) but when reheated in the microwave it had the same distinct odor and taste: mayo.
- 1 1⁄2 cups rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup soy flour
- 1⁄2 cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 16 ounces crushed pineapple (do not drain)
- 3 cups carrots, grated
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a bowl, stir together the flours, xantham gum, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, sugar, mayonnaise and pinepple, not drained.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture until well mixed.
- Fold in the carrots and walnuts, if using.
- Pour the batter into a greased 9" by 13" pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Frost with a cream cheese frosting if desired.