Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 2⁄3 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups cracked wheat
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 packages yeast
- 2 1⁄2 cups glutinous flour or 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- Pour 2 cups boiling water over the cracked wheat. Add the honey reserving 1 teaspoon for later, salt and oil.
- Dissolve the yeast in 2/3 cup warm water and add the 1 teaspoon honey.
- Combine with the cooled cracked wheat mixture. Add the flour and mix thoroughly.
- Place in a buttered bowl and cover, let rise for 1 hour.
- Punch down and let rise for another 30 minutes.
- Punch down and turn out on a floured board.
- Knead well.
- Shape into 2 loaves and place in loaf pans.
- Bake at 350 until golden brown.
- Check after 30-40 minutes.
- Check for doneness by tapping on bottom of loaf, if it sounds hollow, it's done. If not, bake for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Great bread! I put everything in the BM and then baked at 375 for 35 min. Loved how light and airy it was. Great toast in the morning.
This bread was excellent! Made it for sandwich bread. My boyfriend likes it as panini bread. In short, good recipe Anne! SUPERB!!!
Fabulous light textured bread with yummy yummy texture. Let's just say that a friend of mine gave me a gallon of cracked wheat to use and I was going to give half of it away, but after making this - I'm going to keep all of it! I cut this recipe in half and ran it on the dough cycle then baked it in my stoneware bread pan - amazing!