Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
BLFGT: Bacon, Lettuce, Fried Green Tomato Yes, there really is a Whistle Stop Cafe from the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes". It is pretty much like the movie portrays it, a Southern cafe with really authentic fare, and some of the best fried green tomatoes ever. I came across this when looking for fried green tomato recipes without much cornmeal. It sparked my interest, so I thought I'd share it with my Zaar friends. Looks like a lot of work, but well worth the time.
- 8 slices bacon
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 slices green tomatoes (do not cut too thin)
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- 8 slices bread, lightly toasted
- lettuce leaf
- Fry the bacon until just browned and drain. Strain and save the drippings. In a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper, and milk; stir to combine. The consistency should be like pancake batter.
- Add the oil to the drippings and heat. Dip each slice of tomato in the batter, letting the excess drip off. Fry the tomatoes until browned, being careful not to burn them. Drain well.
- Stir together the chili sauce and mayonnaise.
- To assemble, spread on the mayo, layer the bacon, tomato and lettuce.
I really loved the combination of flavours and textures in this sandwich. I did have a slight problem getting the batter to stick to the tomatoes, but I perservered and they turned out great in the end. I used smoked bacon, and will definitely be making this again.