From Food & Wine magazine, here's what they say: I doubt Mark Wahlberg ate this macaroni salad to get into such sick shape to play champion boxer Micky Ward in his film The Fighter. But thanks to his brother, chef Paul Wahlberg, we’ve got the recipe for the Wahlberg family macaroni salad. Mark says that no one makes the dish as well as their mother, Alma. But you can try by making their recipe for yourself! Or go to Paul’s cool new Mediterranean-Italian restaurant, Alma Nove in Hingham, Massachusetts, where the macaroni salad is on his menu at his brother’s request. At least in pasta salad season in summer. I have tweeked this just a little. Feel free to add olives, more veggies, etc. Enjoy!
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced green bell pepper (I like to use red bell pepper too)
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced celery
- 3 tablespoons diced red onions (optional)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 dash ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the macaroni until al dente, about 8-9 minutes or to taste. Drain, then rinse the macaroni until cool. Drain very well.
- In a large bowl, add the garlic powder, celery salt and mayonnaise to the macaroni and toss to coat. Add cayenne if using. Stir in well.
- Stir in the green pepper, celery, onion and parsley and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Chill before serving.