Don't want to deal with pastry? Looking for a fast fix? Here you go! Can't get any easier than this. You can also get creative: add bacon crumbles, shallots, spices, buttered breadcrumb topping, vary the cheese, etc. But you gotta have good tomatoes. Although, come to think of it, very well-drained canned diced (fire-roasted?) tomatoes might work in the off-season. Never tried it. The recipe came from another website, don't remember which one.
- Grease a 9" pie plate and place the biscuit dough evenly in the plate.
- Stretch and spread the biscuits until they touch and form a continuous crust.
- Slice the tomatoes and spread over the crust. Sprinkle with basil, salt and pepper.
- Spread the mozzarella evenly over this.
- Bake in a 375 degrees F. oven for ten minutes.
- Turn 180 degrees and bake another ten minutes, or until crust is lightly browned.
This was so easy! It might be the best recipe I have ever tried! I added turkey bacon and used fresh basil. I also used low fat wheat biscuit. I will make this over and over again. Thanks!