Recipe by Becky H
This is our favorite salisbury steak recipe. I always make enough extra sauce to serve over potatoes. Tastes like it took all day to cook.
Top Review by leaner1990
Great recipe! As with all recipes I tweaked it a bit according to personal preference. Keeping in mind that I never measure anything, here's my take on it: Instead of french onion soup, I use a dry packet of Knorr's onion soup mix. I combine 1/2 with the meat mixture (which otherwise is the same as this recipe) and reserve 1/2 for the sauce. For the sauce I use a tetra pak of beef broth to which I add onions, mushrooms, worchestershire & ketchup to taste, and the remaining onion soup mix. To thicken I use a flour & oil rue. Awesome over mashed potatoes!!!
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cancampbells French onion soup
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 -3 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix together 1/3 cup condensed French onion soup with ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, salt and black pepper.
- Shape into 6 oval patties.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown both sides of patties.
- Pour off excess fat.
- In a small bowl, blend flour and remaining soup until smooth.
- Mix in ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce and mustard powder.
- Pour over meat in skillet.
- Cover, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.