Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is our favorite salisbury steak recipe. I always make enough extra sauce to serve over potatoes. Tastes like it took all day to cook.
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cancampbells French onion soup
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1 -3 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 cup water
- In a large bowl, mix together 1/3 cup condensed French onion soup with ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, salt and black pepper.
- Shape into 6 oval patties.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown both sides of patties.
- Pour off excess fat.
- In a small bowl, blend flour and remaining soup until smooth.
- Mix in ketchup, water, Worcestershire sauce and mustard powder.
- Pour over meat in skillet.
- Cover, and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Great recipe! As with all recipes I tweaked it a bit according to personal preference. Keeping in mind that I never measure anything, here's my take on it: Instead of french onion soup, I use a dry packet of Knorr's onion soup mix. I combine 1/2 with the meat mixture (which otherwise is the same as this recipe) and reserve 1/2 for the sauce. For the sauce I use a tetra pak of beef broth to which I add onions, mushrooms, worchestershire & ketchup to taste, and the remaining onion soup mix. To thicken I use a flour & oil rue. Awesome over mashed potatoes!!!
YOOO for real the very best is an understatement. I followed this recipie to the t....just doubled the sauce and added sliced mushroom.
Sooooo very good !!! the good thing about this recipie is that it is soooo tastey, meat tender and sauce over mashed potatoes divine!!!
I am so thankful for the posting of this recipie
Back 37 years ago when we first got married, this was one of my favorite recipes to make on a regular basis, then, somehow I lost the recipe!!! I am so happy to have found it again on "Zaar"!!! This is delicious, and the gravy is great over mashed potatoes!!! You can also bake these in a 350 degree oven for 60 minutes, pouring the gravy over the last 5-10 minutes. Enjoy!!! Thanks, Becky!!!