1/7 Photos of The Very Best Italian Bread!
1 hr 10 mins
Dine & Dish's Note:
My friend Leslie passed this recipe on to me. It makes 2 loaves, which is always wonderful because you can share a fresh baked loaf of wonderful bread with a friend. Easy to make using both your bread machine and your oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place flour, brown sugar, warm water, salt, olive oil and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- 2Select dough cycle; press Start.
- 3Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- 4Form dough into two loaves.
- 5Place the loaves seam side down on a cutting board generously sprinkled with cornmeal.
- 6Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise, until doubled in volume about 40 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 8In a small bowl, beat together egg and 1 tablespoon water.
- 9Brush the risen loaves with egg mixture.
- 10Make a single long, quick cut down the center of the loaves with a sharp knife.
- 11Gently shake the cutting board to make sure that the loaves are not sticking.
- 12If they stick, use a spatula or pastry knife to loosen.
- 13Slide the loaves onto a baking sheet with one quick but careful motion.
- 14Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Very Best Italian Bread!
Serving Size: 1 (933 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1033.2
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 93.0 mg
- Sodium 1790.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 204.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 30.0 g