Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
My friend Leslie passed this recipe on to me. It makes 2 loaves, which is always wonderful because you can share a fresh baked loaf of wonderful bread with a friend. Easy to make using both your bread machine and your oven.
- Place flour, brown sugar, warm water, salt, olive oil and yeast in the pan of the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- Select dough cycle; press Start.
- Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Form dough into two loaves.
- Place the loaves seam side down on a cutting board generously sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Cover the loaves with a damp cloth and let rise, until doubled in volume about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- In a small bowl, beat together egg and 1 tablespoon water.
- Brush the risen loaves with egg mixture.
- Make a single long, quick cut down the center of the loaves with a sharp knife.
- Gently shake the cutting board to make sure that the loaves are not sticking.
- If they stick, use a spatula or pastry knife to loosen.
- Slide the loaves onto a baking sheet with one quick but careful motion.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
This is the best Italian Bread. I will never buy another loaf in the store. Easy and delicious, thanks for posting.
My oh my this is some great bread! I made it to have with some homemade soup for dinner. Great heated in the oven then slathered with butter!
I made this last night and it came out AMAZINGLY! I don't have a bread maker so I made it by hand and used quick-rise yeast. I made one loaf of bread with sesame seeds on top (sprinkled on after the egg wash) and then I made breadsticks with the rest! The breadsticks were long and narrow; before cooking I brushed with the egg-wash and sprinkled with kosher salt. Immediately when they came out of the oven, I brushed them again but this time with melted butter - it tasted wonderful! I'll add the pictures.