Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This comes from The Montreal Gazette and is great to have during a cold winter day. I personally like to have hot chocolate when the weather is getting to me.
- 3 cups milk, divided
- 1 cup 35% cream, divided
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a saucepan, heat 2 1/2 cups milk and 3/4 cup of the whipping cream over medium heat, stirring often until steaming.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk together sugar, cocoa and salt.
- Whisk in remaining cold milk and vanilla to make a smooth paste.
- Reduce heat to medium low and gradually whisk cocoa mixture into hot milk mixture until blended. Heat for about two minutes or until steaming hot.
- In a small chilled bowl, using electric mixrer or whisk, whip remaining whipping cream until thick.
- Ladle hot chocolate into four warmed mugs and evenly dollop whipped cream evenly into each mug. Stir toswirl lightly.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: if desired add 1 teaspoon coffee or chocolate flavoured liquer and 1/2 cup strong coffee to each mug of hot chocolate before adding the whipped cream. This is purely optional.
I am listing this with star because it is classified as a low carb recipe which it clearly is not!
Wow, this was really good and easy too! I cut the recipe in half because I was just making it for my 1 daughter. I heated 1.25c of milk, added .25c of half and half, then added the other .25 of half and half to the half of dry ingredients. I used my dutch process cocoa, which I'm sure helped with the nice rich flavor. I like this recipe because it uses cocoa powder vs. chocolate. I always have the ingredients on hand.