Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came to me in a newsletter from dairygoodness.ca and boy am I ever glad I tried them. These have to be the very very best muffins I have ever made.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-bran cereal (or 100% bran)
- 1 1⁄2 cups soured milk (or buttermilk)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- Preheat oven to 375°F Lightly spray muffin pans.
- In large bowl, combine cereal with milk, let stand 10 minutes.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk brown sugar, egg, molasses and melted butter into cereal mixture.
- Pour over dry ingredients and sprinkle with blueberries.
- Stir just until moistened.
- Spoon into prepared muffin pan. Bake 25 to 30 mins or until tops are firm to the touch.
- Note: to sour milk, spoon 4 tsp lemon juice or white vinegar into glass measuring cup, pour in enough milk to make 1 1/2 cups. Let stand for 5 mins then stir.
- If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw before adding to the muffins.
Wow! These muffins live up to their claim. I was so impressed with these. I used all whole wheat flour, and since I was out of regular molasses, I used mostly golden corn syrup with a touch of blackstrap molasses. The only problem is that I should have made a double batch!
Just sweet enough, moist, tender, and the Cinnamon adds a great kick. I used frozen wild blueberries from last summer and they turned out great, may have to eat them all ;) Thanks for the recipe!
Fluffy, dark and full of flavour. I used fresh picked Saskatoon berries in place of the blueberries. Smells wonderful while baking.