Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a twist on a very easy beef and veggie soup recipe. A set it and forget it type of recipe. I recommend chopping the meat as small as possible to speed up the cooking of it. And dice the veggies small enough to eat with a spoon.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb sirloin steak, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups collard greens, fresh and shredded
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 large russet potato, diced (optional)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil over medium/high heat in a large soup pot, or dutch oven. Sear the diced steak, stirring often.
- Add the onion and cook until tender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the potatoes if you are using them.
- Lower heat to medium/low and let simmer for at least 1 hour.
- 3 or 4 hours is better to make sure the meat is very tender.
- Add the potatoes about 30 minutes before you are ready to serve.
- The soup is done when the meat and potatoes are tender.
- Check for seasoning. Makes a great healthy lunch.
I'm really not much for cooked collard greens or cabbage, but then, I didn't make this for me! Rather it was fixed for a housebound neighbor couple for whom I often cook, & they loved it! Definitely a very satisfying comfort food during the last few cold days of winter around here! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
This is a really good soup! I only used less than a tablespoon of oil and that was enough. I also can't get collard greens here so I doubled the amount of cabbage. My potatoes were a little stubborn and took about 45 minutes to soften. Good luck in the contest! :)
Terrific! I love making soup and this one was so easy and tasted great. I let it simmer for about 3 hours as suggested. I served it with a sandwich for an easy cold weather dinner. The leftovers we had for lunch the next day were even better. Thanks for sharing. Made for Craze-E Contest 2011.