1 hr 50 mins
Delicious carrot cake from the May/June 2006 issue of Vegetarian Times. I made it for my dad's birthday and it was a major hit. I listed cardamom as optional because I didn't have it on hand and the recipe still tasted great without it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 ounces carrot baby food
- 1 tablespoon finely grated gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups coarsely grated carrots (about 6 carrots)
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1 1/2 cups crushed walnuts
Brown Sugar Frosting
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Butter 2 8-inch round cake pans and line bottoms with parchment or wax paper. Butter paper, and dust with flour.
- 2To make carrot cake: Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom.
- 3Beat oil, both sugars, baby food, ginger, and vanilla extract until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- 4Add eggs one at a time, beating after each.
- 5Add flour mixture in two additions.
- 6Add carrots, pineapple, and nuts; beat just until blended.
- 7Divide batter between cake pans and bake 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into centers comes out clean.
- 8Cool cakes in pans on rack 10 minutes.
- 9Cut around edges to loosen using small knife. Invert cakes onto rack, remove paper, and cool completely.
- 10To make frosting: Beat cream until soft peaks form; set aside.
- 11Combine cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt. Beat until smooth and creamy, 3 to 5 mnutes.
- 12Fold in whipped cream in 3 additions.
- 14To assemble: Up to 4 hours before serving, place one layer on cake platter. Spread 1 cup frosting over top and cover with second layer. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle sides with crushed walnuts.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Ultimate Vt Carrot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 555.1
- Calories from Fat 285
- Total Fat 31.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 86.2 mg
- Sodium 441.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 45.8 g
- Protein 7.2 g