Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I can't say enough about this cake, it is moist, dense and buttery!... I have made this using mini chocolate chips and just recently made it with dried cranberries, I plan on making this for the holidays to serve to guests! I baked mine in a tube pan. Since I am making this cake again for the holidays, I plan on adding in some red food colouring in the glaze, and I will chop up frozen or fresh cranberries and add them into the cake batter, but that is only optional.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 1⁄4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 5 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 teaspoons sifted cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened (no subs!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons whipping cream
- red food coloring (optional)
- Set oven to 350°.
- Generously butter a 12-cup Bundt pan (can use a tube pan also).
- In a bowl mix together all streusel ingredients; set aside.
- For the cake: sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer cream the butter and sugar with vanilla for 5-6 minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time until well blended.
- Add in sour cream until well blended.
- Mix in the flour mixture alternately into butter mixture in 3 additions; then beat on high speed for 1 minute.
- Pour 1/3 of the batter into prepared baking pan.
- Sprinkle with half of the streusel mixture.
- Spoon another 1/3 batter over the streusel mixture.
- Sprinkle with remaining streusel mixture, and then spoon the remaining batter over.
- Bake cake for about 1 hour or until cake tests done (it might take more or less time to bake).
- Cool for about 15 minutes, then carefully run a knife around the sides of the pan to loosen cake.
- Turn the cake out onto a rack to cool completely.
- In a bowl whisk together the confectioners sugar and 2 tablespoons whipping cream adding/whisking in more whipping cream to create a THICK glaze (make sure it is thick enough to cling to the cake).
- Drizzle over the cake.
wow! this cake was extremely taste. I made it for a dinner party and the guest loved it. It was a suprsied to me because the guest were my parents and my husbands parents along with his brother & wife & sister & wife. The streusel really brought out the flavors of the stong cranberrys.not as tart as i thought it would be. loved it ~Susan
This cake is extremely way too good, rich, buttery and verrrry cinnamony, and very moist, left out the glaze as it really didn't need it, one of the better cakes I have made, thanks Kitty.