Recipe by clw721
Tyler Florence's recipe for The Ultimate Sloppy Joes
Top Review by Marie Nixon
I have made a couple of other Tyler Florence's 'Ultimate' recipes and I've liked them. This is a fine tasting sloppy joe recipe but I wouldn't call it 'ultimate' because it is made with turkey instead of beef. The good thing about Tyler Florence's recipes is that they are always very flavorful and this recipe is no exception.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground turkey
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 5 whole wheat hamburger buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Set a heavy-based pot over medium-high heat and add a 3-count of olive oil.
- Add onions and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until translucent.
- Add ground turkey, season well with salt and pepper and brown well all over, breaking it up with a wooden spoon—about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add ketchup, mustard, cayenne, brown sugar and tomato paste. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Finish with a splash of apple cider vinegar and season it once more before serving on toasted whole wheat hamburger buns.