1 hr 30 mins
This is the real deal!! I found out about this amazing shark sandwich while watching an episode of "Bizarre Foods" hosted by chef and food critic Andrew Zimmern and fournd this online at Trini Gourmet. Shark and Bake is what natives of Trinidad call the ultimate beach food sold at various fish stands, and first created in Maracas Bay (the most popular beach on the island). This sandwich is like nothing I've ever tasted before. There are several steps to this recipe but it is well worth the effort. The flavor of the shark fillets is not overwhelming and the flavor of the bread which you will be making yourself is so wonderful and different I hope you love it just as much as everyone in my family does. I make these quite often and they are always a hit even with the pickiest of people. You can use the suggestions the author of this recipe made to be used as condiments on your shark sandwiches but you can do what I do and shred some lettuce and slice some tomatos and added a bit of my favorite pesto and they will be out of this world!! It is always good to try different things don't you think? Give it a try and enjoy!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Float (Fried Bake)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups water (to form a soft dough)
- 3 cups oil (for frying)
- 1Fried Bake:.
- 2Sift flour, salt and baking powder.
- 3Add enough water (around 2 1/2 cups) to make a soft dough.
- 4Knead for about 10 minutes.
- 5Leave to rest for 1/2 hour or more.
- 6Divide into 6 portions.
- 7Flatten each portion to a a diameter of 5 to 6 inches; and 1 quarter inch thick.
- 8Oil hands to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands.
- 9Fry in hot oil untli brown, turning once.
- 10Drain on kitchen paper.
- 11Fried Fish:.
- 12Combine chive, thyme, garlic, salt and pepper sauce.
- 13Marinate fish in lime and salt for about 15 minutes.
- 14Drain well and rub with seasoning mixture.
- 15Dip fillets in flour.
- 16Dip fillets in egg.
- 17Dip fillets in breadcrumbs.
- 18Fry on both sides until brown.
- 19Drain throughly on kitchen paper.
- 20The author of this recipe suggested coleslaw as a condiment for the sandwiches.
- 21He tossed some tomatoes and watercress with olive oil, salt and pepper, and suggests a sauce which combines diluted mango chutney with ketchup and chopped garlic.
- 22When slicing fried bake, don't do it all the way through, then insert the shark fillet and top it with the condiment you like the most. Be creative.
Browse Our Top Novelty Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Ultimate Shark and Bake (A Ture Trinidad and Tobago Recipe)
Serving Size: 1 (463 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2161.0
- Calories from Fat 1672
- Total Fat 185.8 g
- Saturated Fat 26.6 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 1455.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 111.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 17.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: