1/1 Photo of The Ultimate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pie
Based on a recipe from my Treasury of Home Baking cookbook. I collect whoopie pie recipes now that I live in Maine and love to bake. Using non-fat milk as the only substitute I made, these calculate to 9 PointsPlus (Weight Watchers) per pie; for those of us who are tracking points, I’d suggest eating only a third or a half of a cookie; it’s better than none at all! Prep and cook times do not include cooling times. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 crisco baking sticks butter flavor shortening or 1/2 cup butter flavor shortening, plus additional for greasing
- 1 cup nonfat milk (recipe calls for whole milk)
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 cup water, boiling
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1Heat oven to 425°F Prepare baking sheet by greasing with shortening. Prepare countertops for cooling pies by lining with sheets of foil.
- 3In small microwavable bowl, mix together 1 cup milk and vinegar. Microwave at HIGH to warm slightly (you may also achieve this in a small saucepan on a stove top on medium heat). Mixture will appear separated and curdled.
- 4In large bowl combine granulated and brown sugars, and crunchy peanut butter. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer until crumbly.
- 5Add ½ cup shortening to 2-cup glass measure. Pour boiling water over and stir to melt shortening. Add to peanut butter mixture along with milk mixture and vanilla. Beat at low speed. Mixture will appear very fluid and a tad separated.
- 6Combine 4 cups flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir well. Add all at once to peanut butter mixture. Beat at low speed until mixture is blended and resembles thick cake batter. Allow to stand 20 minutes. Drop by rounded measuring tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheet.
- 7Bake in upper half of oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until set TAKING CARE NOT TO OVERBAKE. Allow to cool 2 minutes on baking sheet. Transfer pies to foil and cool completely.
- 9Combine ½ cup milk and 3 tablespoons flour in small saucepan. Cook and stir on medium heat until thickened. Allow to cool completely. Transfer to medium bowl and add confectioners’ sugar, ½ cup shortening, creamy peanut butter and vanilla. Beat at low speed until blended. Beat at high until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use. Spread filling on bottom halves of pies. Top with remaining pie halves. Press together gently.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Ultimate Peanut Butter Whoopie Pie
Serving Size: 1 (2056 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.1
- Calories from Fat 32
- Total Fat 3.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 168.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 22.8 g
- Protein 4.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
butter flavor shortening
butter flavor shortening