Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
I used to work at Friendly's, a family restaurant chain where patty melts were a major feature of the menu. The ordinary patty melt is a grilled swiss on rye with a hamburger and some grilled onions inside. But its even better with bacon and mushrooms. My DH's absolute, favorite burger. The prep work takes a little time as you cook each element but if you have the bacon, onions, and mushroom ready ahead you can assemble the patty melts as fast as you can cook a hamburger. Good for race day, game day, or any time you've got a crowd of hearty eaters at your table.
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 3 -4 medium onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 12 slices rye bread (a hearty, thick-sliced one with seeds is best)
- 12 slices swiss cheese
- Cut the bacon strips in half. Fry to preferred doneness (I like mine moderately soft).
- Fry onions in a little butter over medium to medium-high heat until cooked and browned.
- Fry mushrooms in butter or bacon grease until nicely cooked and a little browned.
- Form ground sirloin into 6, slightly oval patties. Fry or grill to preferred doneness (I like medium-well).
- While patties are cooking, make 6 sandwiches of rye bread and cheese. Butter the outsides and cook like a normal grilled-cheese sandwich -- in restaurant-speak this is a "set-up".
- When set-ups are ready them pry them open and set them on the individual plates.
- Put cooked patties on one side of the set-up. Top with bacon strips, onions, and mushrooms.
- Close sandwiches, pin with frilly toothpicks, and cut in half.
- Offer mayonnaise and/or mustard (preferably brown or Dijon), at the table.
- I prefer to offer coleslaw (try Recipe #209944 ), or a green salad but really crisp french fries and a pickle on the side are customary.
My husband is in love with your recipe! I use rye bread and swiss with lots of onions and mushrooms. Lately he has been asking me to mix some A1 Steak Sauce in with the meat when I make the patty.
What a great recipe! I was trying to decide, just how to put a patty melt together." Well I have learned to depend on ZAAR to provide me with the answer!! :-) Thanks for posting! Koechin
I read the recipes and the other reviews and I've just GOT to try this! I think my boyfriend is going to love it.