I used to work at Friendly's, a family restaurant chain where patty melts were a major feature of the menu. The ordinary patty melt is a grilled swiss on rye with a hamburger and some grilled onions inside. But its even better with bacon and mushrooms. My DH's absolute, favorite burger. The prep work takes a little time as you cook each element but if you have the bacon, onions, and mushroom ready ahead you can assemble the patty melts as fast as you can cook a hamburger. Good for race day, game day, or any time you've got a crowd of hearty eaters at your table.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the bacon strips in half. Fry to preferred doneness (I like mine moderately soft).
- 2Fry onions in a little butter over medium to medium-high heat until cooked and browned.
- 3Fry mushrooms in butter or bacon grease until nicely cooked and a little browned.
- 4Form ground sirloin into 6, slightly oval patties. Fry or grill to preferred doneness (I like medium-well).
- 5While patties are cooking, make 6 sandwiches of rye bread and cheese. Butter the outsides and cook like a normal grilled-cheese sandwich -- in restaurant-speak this is a "set-up".
- 6When set-ups are ready them pry them open and set them on the individual plates.
- 7Put cooked patties on one side of the set-up. Top with bacon strips, onions, and mushrooms.
- 8Close sandwiches, pin with frilly toothpicks, and cut in half.
- 9Offer mayonnaise and/or mustard (preferably brown or Dijon), at the table.
- 10I prefer to offer coleslaw (try Better Dressing for Coleslaw ), or a green salad but really crisp french fries and a pickle on the side are customary.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Ultimate Patty Melt Burger
Serving Size: 1 (402 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 847.4
- Calories from Fat 450
- Total Fat 50.0 g
- Saturated Fat 22.2 g
- Cholesterol 175.5 mg
- Sodium 948.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 56.9 g