This is amazing, if I do say so myself. I concocted this yummy recipe for a friend who really savors food. He was floored.
- 2 dozen chowder clams
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (I prefer Red Pack)
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lb cooked jumbo shrimp (add this to make the chowder really great) (optional)
- Steam clams in a large pot and reserve the liquid that is left- it should measure about 3+ cups.
- Chop the clams.
- In a large pot, cook the bacon over medium/high heat until slightly crisp.
- Add the onions and cook, stirring until transparent.
- Add the pepper, carrot and celery and cook for about a minute.
- Add the clams, tomatoes, clam liquid, water, bay leaf, thyme ground pepper.
- Bring to a boil and add potatoes.
- Simmer 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove the bay leaf. Add chopped parsley.
- Add the cooked shrimp now if you plan to use them, but do not continue to cook or the shrimp will get tough.
- You should only warm the shrimp over for best results.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired.