1/2 Photos of The Ultimate Manhattan Clam Chowder
1 hr 15 mins
This is amazing, if I do say so myself. I concocted this yummy recipe for a friend who really savors food. He was floored.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 dozen chowder clams
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (I prefer Red Pack)
- 3 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lb cooked jumbo shrimp (add this to make the chowder really great) (optional)
- 1Steam clams in a large pot and reserve the liquid that is left- it should measure about 3+ cups.
- 2Chop the clams.
- 3In a large pot, cook the bacon over medium/high heat until slightly crisp.
- 4Add the onions and cook, stirring until transparent.
- 5Add the pepper, carrot and celery and cook for about a minute.
- 6Add the clams, tomatoes, clam liquid, water, bay leaf, thyme ground pepper.
- 7Bring to a boil and add potatoes.
- 8Simmer 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 9Remove the bay leaf. Add chopped parsley.
- 10Add the cooked shrimp now if you plan to use them, but do not continue to cook or the shrimp will get tough.
- 11You should only warm the shrimp over for best results.
- 12Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Ultimate Manhattan Clam Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.4
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 25.8 mg
- Sodium 532.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 11.4 g