Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
A burger with tortilla chips, nacho toppings, and cheese. I make mine vegetarian because of kosher concerns, but the use of a veggie burger does not make this healthy at all. It's a junior because The Ultimate also has vegetarian chili and the The Ultimate Ultimate is sandwiched between two grilled cheese sandwiches instead of a hamburger bun.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon salsa
- 1 tablespoon guacamole
- 4 medium tortilla chips
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 1 veggie burger, patty (I used black-bean chipotle flavoured)
- 1 hamburger bun
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter. When butter is melted whisk in flour. Cook, stirring, for a minute or two. Add milk and stir constantly until mixture starts to thicken. Stir in cheese a bit at a time and cook until cheese is melted throughout. Cover and set aside.
- Cook vegetarian burger according to directions on box. When burger is half done, start assembling toppings on hamburger bun. The order I use is: sour cream, salsa, guacamole, tortilla chips, jalapeños; all stacked on the bottom.
- When the burger is done, place on top of the rest of ingredients. Reheat cheese sauce gently if cold and ladle over burger. Place the top of the bun on and enjoy.
- For that extra lunacy and tastiness in my burger, I add a fried egg that goes under the burger patty but on top of everything else.
- The Ultimate is the same as the above, but has vegetarian chili poured over the burger before the cheese sauce.
- The Ultimate Ultimate is the same as The Ultimate but replaces the bun with a pair of grilled cheese sandwiches made with extra-sharp cheddar and white bread.
Confessing here I have no idea what ultimates and juniors are, both I did like how this dressed up our veggie burgers.