Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence Show: Tyler's Ultimate Episode: Ultimate Jerk Chicken
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 onion
- 8 garlic cloves
- fresh ginger, sliced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 3 limes, juice of
- 1 dash low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper, halved, plus more to taste
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 whole free-range chicken, cut into 10 pieces or 5 lbs chicken
- lime, for garnish
- parsley, for garnish
- smoking chips, soaked in water for 15 minutes
- Begin by making the jerk marinade. Combine all the marinade ingredients in a blender and process until you have a smooth puree.
- Add chicken pieces into a large resealable plastic bag and pour in the marinade. Put the bag into a baking dish and let marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Prepare a table-top smoker or take a roasting tray, line it with foil and add some soaked wood chips to the bottom. Place a wire rack over the top, upside down, and lay chicken pieces over the chips on the rack. Cover with foil and grill over high heat. Smoke for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Transfer the chicken pieces to a baking sheet and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Bake in the oven "low and slow" until chicken is tender, about 1 hour. Remove the chicken from the baking sheet to a serving platter and garnish with limes and parsley before serving.
- Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-ultimate-jerk-chicken-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback.