Recipe by forty and fabulous
Almost zero fat and more fibre than you can handle in a week
Top Review by Jin O.
Just a reminder that when you have a recipe without oil, if you use muffin papers, you will probably get a bit more fiber than you bargained for when you TRY to peel the paper off! I don't mind, but if you're serving to others, it gets a bit harder to do a nice presentation. I also chopped up apple for the fruit, and they were wonderful.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup Red River hot cereal
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds (whole or ground)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup applesauce (or pureed prunes)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups blueberries (or any other fresh fruit)
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries (or raisins)
Directions See How It's Made
- SOAK: oats, 12 grain cereal and cornmeal in yoghurt and apple sauce (or prune puree) for 1/2 hour. Add brown sugar, egg and mix well.
- MIX: flour, flax, baking powder, baking soda - Add to yoghurt mix. Combine just until moist. Batter should be fairly thick. Add a tablespoon or two more of flour if batter is runny.
- FOLD: fold in berries (or fruit) dried cranberries (or rasins).
- Grease muffin pan or use line with muffin cups.
- Makes 12 muffins (or 6 super muffins!).
- Bake at 350 F for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into muffin comes out clean.