1/9 Photos of The Ultimate French Bread
1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 5 mins
Headline: BREAD MACHINE RESCUES MEAL FROM BOREDOM! Never again will you purchase French bread from the store. Impress your friends and neighbors with a warm loaf, laugh delightedly when the compliments start rolling in. COOKING TIME includes rising time, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
CRUNCHY CRUST GLAZE
SOFT CRUST GLAZE
SILKY CRUST GLAZE
- 1Add to bread machine according to owner's manual (my machine does liquids first); program for DOUGH or MANUAL.
- 2At the end of the cycle, place on lightly floured surface, rolling into a large rectangle; start at the longest end and roll up tightly, pressing seams and tapering each end, tucking under.
- 3Place loaf on a greased baking sheet or stone; cover and let rise for one hour until doubled.
- 4Near end of rising time, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 5Mix glaze ingredients in a small bowl; brush over loaf generously; snip three diagonal slashes over the top (optional).
- 6Bake for 20-25 minutes, top will be golden brown.
- 7VARIATIONS: After rolling dough into a rectangle, (1) sprinkle with grated cheese [cheddar is delicious], or (2) generously brush with melted butter & sprinkle some aromatic herbs, or (3) spoon leftover marinara sauce close to the edges, -- then roll up tightly and pinch edges; continue as described in Step #3.
- 8VARIATION #2: Mince one small onion (about 1/4 cup) and add to wet ingredients.
- 9CREATIVE SUGGESTION: Shape into a round loaf instead of the usual long loaf.
- 10BABY FRENCH BREAD LOAFLETS: Divide dough ball into 12 balls, tapering to make mini-loaves; bake 15-20 minutes--watch carefully!
- 11FRENCH TWIST: Divide dough into 3 pieces, rolled into 14-16" ropes. Lay them on pan and braid in usual fashion, tuck ends under, stretch out a bit if need be; brush with 2 T. melted butter; cover & rise for about 30 minutes; brush with glaze, bake 20-25 minutes--watch carefully.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Ultimate French Bread
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 182.3
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 37.2 mg
- Sodium 365.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 6.2 g