Recipe by Marsha D.
This recipe was inspired to me by Tyler Florence from the Food Network show. I wanted to share the recipe here but with a few changes that suits our families taste. Only changes that I made was replacing the tarter cream sauce he made, which was made up of mayonnaise,lemon juice, fresh parsley, basil,and chives, black pepper and olive oil and replacing it with my recipe for Tasty Tartar Sauce and replacing romaine lettuce for the arugula he used on the sandwich.
- 1 (12 inch) tail piece fresh halibut (a foot long)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups panko breadcrumbs, breadcrumbs
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- olive oil
For The Sandwich
- 1 loaf French bread
- 1 avocado, ripen, peeled and sliced
- 1 beefsteak tomato, sliced
- romaine lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup tartar sauce
- butter, soften to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350'.
- Place a baking sheet in oven and let heat up for a good 20-25 minutes while.
- (this is to help keep the fish crispy on bottom of the fish fillet) while preparing the fillets.
- Set up a breading station with 3 separate deep bowls or containers.
- Add flour, kosher salt and black pepper to one containter and set aside.
- In the 2nd containter, add egg and milk , whipped up together and adding a touch of salt and black pepper , and set aside.
- In the 3rd containter add Panko breadcrumbs with more salt and black pepper.
- Cut halibut tail into 2 pieces.
- Dip each halibut fillet into the flour mixture first than into the egg mixture, and than into the panko breading.
- Set each fillet onto a cutting board or a plate to let rest 5 minutes.
- (this is to let the breading mixture settle on the fish fillet).
- Bring out baking sheet from oven and sprinkle some olive oil over the pan.
- Place halibut fillets on hot baking sheet ( it should sizzle when placing on sleet).
- Bake 30 minutes or until a golden brown.
- Split open the french bread and spread butter over each slice of french bread.
- Toast bread in oven until a light golden brown.
- Add tarter sauce to each toasted side of bread.
- Add the fish fillet to one side of bread.
- Add avocado, tomato and romaine lettuce on top of fish.
- Top with other side of bread and serve.