Recipe by Dib's
Have fun with this recipe-take away and add whatever you wish! You cant go wrong with this one, and it's great for picnics, hiking or a day in front of the television watching football!
Top Review by Steph/Feltongirl
I made this for my guys (husband and his father) on a hot summer day and they loved it! I used the meats listed, onion, peppers, mozzarella and added tomato sauce and basil and oregano to the pocket. They LOVED it! Just the other day my husband asked if we could have the "good stromboli" again soon. Steph
- 1 lb loaf bread dough or frozen store bought bread dough, thawed
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced black forest ham
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced smoked chicken
- 1⁄2 lb hot or medium calabreese salami, sliced very thin
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 orange bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1 red onions or 1 yellow onion, sliced thin
- 3 -5 artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- sliced olive
- sliced mushrooms
- grilled eggplant, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 lb feta (or...) or 1⁄2 lb blue cheese (or...) or 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese (or...)
- Dijon mustard
- mayonnaise (omit anything you don't like, and add anything you do-this ingredient list is really just a base for) or marinara sauce (omit anything you don't like, and add anything you do-this ingredient list is really just a base for)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- Roll out your bread dough to a round 14 inches.
- Begin by placing your sliced ham evenly in a 7-8 inch round, beginning in the center of the dough.
- Then do the same with the peppers and onions, then the smoked chicken, now a layer of mustard or sauce, cheese, veggies, more meat.
- Really you just want a nice round stack of what-ever you like.
- When your done pull the edges in, pressing down to compress layers and remove pockets of air.
- Your going to want the completed sandwich to be dense.
- Pinch together the dough so no open seams exists.
- Place seam side down on a round pie pan lightly dusted with corn meal.
- Lightly oil the top and bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Remove and let stand for 15 minutes on the pan.
- You can cut and serve hot, or place on a wire rack and cook for another 15 minutes and serve warm, or cool completely.
- **Use any ingredients you like--this can be from all meat and cheese to totally vegan, it's up to you.
- You can also divide the dough and make 8 individual ones as well--just mark the tops!