Recipe by tree luee dee
Phew....that's a long name. Anyway, I have had this clipping from a Woman's World magazine forever! The picture is just stunning and I can't wait to try it. It look decadent, professional and oh, so yummy. If someone tries this before I do, please let me know...
Top Review by Delinda R.
I made this for Bunko years ago and everyone loved it...I had added less ginger (just because I don't like it in my apple pies) and used a pecan tart crust - it was amazing.<br/>Then I promptly lost the recipe and searched forever for it...so glad I found it again. Can't wait to make it this weekend!!! It is wonderful!
- 2 cups pecans, chopped divided
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (18 ounce) package refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 3 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon candied ginger, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped and quartered
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread pecans on ungreased baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes; cool.
- CRUST: Coat bottom and inside of a 9" springform pan with cooking spray.
- In food processor process 1 cup pecans until fnely ground (or finely chop with a knife.)
- At medium-low speed beat flour into refrigerated sugar cookie dough until combined.
- Stir in ground pecans.
- Press dough onto side and bottom of pan, creating scant 1/4 inch thick crust; refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Bake crust 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- FILLING: Toss apples with sugar, flour, ginger, cinnamon and remaining pecans; spoon into pan.
- Sprinkle with chopped caramels.
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- CRUMB TOPPING: Meanwhile, at low speed combine flour, sugars, and cinnamon.
- Increase speed to medium gradually add butter and vanilla, beating until wet crumbs form.
- Remove pie from oven, uncover.
- Using hands press tablespoonfuls of crumb mixture toether to form large crumbs; place over filling, covering entire surface.
- Bake, uncovered for 45 minutes or untill lightly browned.
- Cool on rack; remove side from pan.
- Stir together confectioners' sugar and 4 teaspoons water until smooth.
- Transfer to plastic food storage bag; snip 1 corner; drizzle over crumbs.