Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is rich and cheesy and creamy and so good!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh spinach, washed, stems trimmed
- 4 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 1⁄4 cup roughly grated gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup roughly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- Cook the spinach, covered, in boiling salted water until tender, about 4 minutes. Rinse under cold running water; drain, pressing out all liquid with the back of a spoon. Chop fine.
- In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt 2-1/2 T. of the butter. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Whisk in hot milk. Cook until thick, about 2 minutes. Add gruyere cheese, the 2 T. finely grated parmesan, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and hot pepper sauce. Stir in spinach; remove from heat. Stir in lemon zest; mix thoroughly. Transfer to a shallow, buttered, 4-cup baking dish.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt remaining 2 T. butter. Stir in bread crumbs. Cook, stirring constantly, until golden. Spoon crumbs evenly over spinach mixture. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of roughly grated parmesan.
- Bake in a preheated 425-degree oven for 14 minutes.
This is a really delicious creamed spinach dish! I cut the recipe back a bit as I did not have quite enough spinach for the dish. Since I was using gruyere cheese, I took the liberty of using half and half vs. regular milk. Otherwise, I made the dish as directed. I reduced the oven temp to 400 degrees. I usually make my creamed spinach with cream cheese, but love the gruyere idea much more! Made for the Newest Zaar tag, February, 2012.