This is rich and cheesy and creamy and so good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs fresh spinach, washed, stems trimmed
- 4 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk, scalded
- 1/4 cup roughly grated gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup roughly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1Cook the spinach, covered, in boiling salted water until tender, about 4 minutes. Rinse under cold running water; drain, pressing out all liquid with the back of a spoon. Chop fine.
- 2In a medium saucepan over low heat, melt 2-1/2 T. of the butter. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes. Whisk in hot milk. Cook until thick, about 2 minutes. Add gruyere cheese, the 2 T. finely grated parmesan, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and hot pepper sauce. Stir in spinach; remove from heat. Stir in lemon zest; mix thoroughly. Transfer to a shallow, buttered, 4-cup baking dish.
- 3In a small skillet over medium heat, melt remaining 2 T. butter. Stir in bread crumbs. Cook, stirring constantly, until golden. Spoon crumbs evenly over spinach mixture. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup of roughly grated parmesan.
- 4Bake in a preheated 425-degree oven for 14 minutes.
Browse Our Top Spinach Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Ultimate Creamed Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.6
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 38.6 mg
- Sodium 536.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 11.9 g