Prep 35 mins
Cook 35 mins
A wonderful dish by Tyler Florence. The flavors are great and I couldn't eat just one! A fantastic meal!
- 2 lbs russet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄4 bunch fresh thyme sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1 lb fresh lump crabmeat
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 bunch chives, finely chopped
- 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil, for frying
- lemon slice, for garnish
- mixed salad green, with
- vinaigrette, as accompaniment
- toasted peasant bread, as accompaniment
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cornichons (We left them out, personal preference, optional) (optional) or 2 tablespoons sour gherkins, minced (We left them out, personal preference) (optional)
- 3 tablespoons capers, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon leaf
- 1 1⁄2 anchovies, minced
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce, to taste
TOASTED PEASANT BREAD
- 1 loaf peasant bread, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces (Boboli was what we used)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, halved
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
- chopped fresh parsley, leaves
- MAKE REMOULDAE FIRST:.
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.
- CRAB CAKES:.
- Put potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water.
- Add salt and bring to a boil, uncovered.
- Simmer for 20 minutes until there is no resistance when a fork is inserted.
- Drain the potatoes and make sure they are dry.
- Mash them in a large bowl until there are no lumps.
- While the potatoes are cooking, heat the milk, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, peppercorns, and 1 tablespoon of butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Do not let boil.
- Using a sieve, strain the milk and herbs into the potatoes and mix thoroughly.
- Add the chopped chives and season with salt & a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Check crabmeat for pieces of shell.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Remove and carefully fold into the potatoes.
- Using your hands shape the mixture into medium sized patties, taking care to flatten out the centers and smooth out the top.
- Roll them in bread crumbs and shake off excess.
- Coat a large non-stick skillet with 1/4" of oil over a medium heat until it begins to smoke slightly.
- Pan-fry the crab cakes until brown, about 5 minutes on each side, turning carefully with a spatula.
- Remove from pan and serve on a large flat dish with Remoulade.
- Garnish with slices of lemon, & serve with a mixed green salad, & freshly prepared toasted peasant bread(recipe to follow).
- TOASTED PEASANT BREAD:.
- Preheat the oven to 500ºF.
- Put a sheet pan in the oven so that it gets good and hot.
- Place the bread slices on the hot sheet pan.
- Drizzle the bread with extra-virgin olive oil bake for 5 minutes, until the bread is nicely toasted.
- Rub the bread slices with the garlic cloves, and discard garlic.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan and parsley and serve.