Recipe by Cooking to Perfection
Talk about rich and shocking. This beautiful cake is a winner with all chocoholics! Great for a dessert party, birthday party, or finale of an elegant meal.
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- chocolate shavings (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- For cake: Combine water and chocolate in small saucepan; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate melts.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Beat 2/3 cup shortening until creamy; gradually add 1 3/4 cups sugar, beating well and scrapping down edges of bowl.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift 2 1/2 cups flour, soda, and 1/2 tsp salt; add to cake batter, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Add cooled chocolate mixture and 1 tsp vanilla; mix just until blended.
- Pour batter into three greased and floured 9-inch layer pans.
- Bake at 350* for 17-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire wracks for 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wracks.
- For filling: Place 1/4 cup flour in small saucepan; gradually stir in milk.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Beat butter and 1/2 cup shortening until creamy; gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating well.
- Add 1 Tbsp vanilla, 1/4 tsp salt, and milk mixture; beat until smooth.
- Spread filling between cake layers.
- For frosting: Combine 3 cups sugar, 3/4 cup milk, 3/4 cup butter, 3 ounces chocolate in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until chocolate melts.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture boils; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Beat at high speed of electric mixer until frosting is of spreading consistency.
- Immediately spread on cake.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings.