Recipe by mielhollinger
One bite and chocolate-chip-cookie lovers will know they have met their match! (This recipe is from the book "The Vegan Sourcebook".)
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
- 1 cup semisweet vegan chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Set aside.
- Place the oats, flour, nuts, chocolate chips, salt, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir with a wire whisk.
- Place the oil, maple syrup, water, and vanilla in a small mixing bowl and beat vigorously with a wire whisk until emulsified.
- Stir into the oat-flour mixture, mixing hust until everything is evenly moistened.
- Let sit 5 minutes.
- Drop slightly rounded tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 1 inch apart.
- The dough will be crumbly.
- Flatten with your hand to 1/3-inch thick.
- Smooth the edges to make each cookie uniformly round, gently pressing the dough so that the cookies hold together.
- Bake one sheet at a time on the center shelf of the oven until cookies are lightly brown, about 18 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.