Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
One bite and chocolate-chip-cookie lovers will know they have met their match! (This recipe is from the book "The Vegan Sourcebook".)
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
- 1 cup semisweet vegan chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Set aside.
- Place the oats, flour, nuts, chocolate chips, salt, and baking soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir with a wire whisk.
- Place the oil, maple syrup, water, and vanilla in a small mixing bowl and beat vigorously with a wire whisk until emulsified.
- Stir into the oat-flour mixture, mixing hust until everything is evenly moistened.
- Let sit 5 minutes.
- Drop slightly rounded tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 1 inch apart.
- The dough will be crumbly.
- Flatten with your hand to 1/3-inch thick.
- Smooth the edges to make each cookie uniformly round, gently pressing the dough so that the cookies hold together.
- Bake one sheet at a time on the center shelf of the oven until cookies are lightly brown, about 18 minutes.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
These came out beautifully. Needed a quick treat and left out the walnuts, halved the recipe and made them in my toaster oven. Fast and delicious!
I have been a chocolate chip cookie freak for a LONG time and for some wonderful reason, these cookies fill the bill. They are definitely different than the Toll house recipe, but even the dough of these taste good to me. I can eat these and not feel sick from all the sugar and white flour!! I use a 1/8 measuring cup and fill it with dough and overturn it onto the cookie sheet. Then press down a little on each cookie. It seems to make it a lot easier to get the cookies even and not fall apart. They are even better after they have been in the frig for a time.
These are fantastic! I didnt chop the walnuts quite fine enough, but other than that they were perfect.