Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe goes back to when my son was small and that is quite a while back, and I still make them, these are moist and rich no need for an electric mixer for this recipe it's all mixed with a wooden spoon, I have even added in chopped walnuts or mini chocolate chips, my Kittencal's Chocolate Frosting/Icing works great with these :)
- 3⁄4 cup good quality baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (heaping)
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar (or to taste)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts (optional)
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl combine cocoa and baking powder; mix to combine.
- Add in boiling water; mix well with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Add in the melted butter and vanilla; mix well.
- Add in the sugar, mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in eggs with a wooden spoon; mix until combined.
- Mix the flour with salt; add in the chocolate mixture; mix well to combine (batter will be a bit on the thin side).
- Add/mix in mini chocolate chips or walnuts (or 1 cup of both!).
- Using an ice cream scoop fill each of the muffin tins almost to the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until muffins are done, don't over bake! (might take a little longer, depending on how full the muffin tins are with the batter).
- Cool, drizzle glaze over or frost with buttercream frosting.
Very chocolatey. However, mine came out REALLY dense. I'm not quite sure where I might have gone wrong; my mom said the melted butter should not have been hot, I think it might have been because I added the dry ingredients to the wet instead of the other way around it may have led to overmixing. Either way, they still taste really good; I used walnuts and chopped dark chocolate. And only used 1 cup of sugar. Would make again, though more cautiously, because I want to master making muffins!
I was really disappointed in these muffins. I made them for an extra special birthday treat, but they had such a weird texture and were not that tasty. I'm sure it's operator error, but I definitely won't make these again. Bummer!
Amazing amazing amazing! Sooo good. I used white chocolate chips instead of regular chocolate chips and it was perfect. They were devoured instantly. Thanks kittencal, always know that your recipes will be a hit.