Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Just a look at these muffins is heaven. A sweet cake worthy of afternoon tea or even a glamorous after dinner pudding. The sliced Mars Bars on top did it for me...sigh...
- 400 g dark chocolate, with less than 50% cocoa solids, roughly chopped
- 200 g unsalted butter, roughly chopped
- 200 g self raising flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons good quality cocoa powder
- 150 g golden caster sugar
- 125 ml skim milk
- 3 medium eggs
- 3 (54 g) Mars bars, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 180*C, 350*F.
- Lightly grease a regular 12 hold muffin tin.
- Put half the chocolate and all the butter in a bowl over a pan of simmer water.
- Stir occasionally until melted, then mix until smooth.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and cocoa, then stir in the sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the milk and eggs together.
- Add to the dry ingredients along with the melted chocolate.
- Mix to combine.
- Put a spoon ful of the mixture into the base of each muffin hole and top with a Mars bar slice.
- Top with the remaining mixture to three quarters full and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until risen and cooked through.
- Remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Put the remaining chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmer water, until melted.
- Cool slightly.
- Pile the Mars slices onto the muffins, drizzling with the melted chocolate.