Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is the best chili ever! I don't remember where I got the orginal recipe for this, but I've tweeked it to fit our tastes.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- salt and pepper
- 3 (15 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef until evenly browned.
- Drain off grease, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a slow cooker, combine the cooked beef, kidney beans, tomatoes, celery, red bell pepper, and red wine vinegar.
- Season with chili powder, cumin, parsley, basil and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir to distribute ingredients evenly.
- Cook on High for 6 hours, or on Low for 8 hours.
- Pour in the wine during the last 2 hours.
I added a can of corn. And it was a huge hit. If you don't eat meat try it with Veggie crumbles. Topped with some shredded Taco Cheese it's excellent!
Rated 5 stars by my husband. I'm not much of a chili fan so I couldn't rate it properly. He rated it a 5 because he said he'd like me to make it again. It is a very, very mild chili.
Didn't find anything extrodinary about this recipe, far too many tomatoes!