Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
The stock recipe makes more than the soup recipe calls for. Store the remaining stock in small airtight, freezer-safe containers, up to 3 months. I got this recipe from Oprah's magazine.
- 1 roasting chicken, halved and cleaned, plus
- 6 chicken wings
- 3 carrots, trimmed
- 1 onion, peeled
- 2 leeks, thoroughly rinsed
- 4 celery ribs
- 3 parsnips, trimmed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 bunch parsley
- 1 whole lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch coins
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons dill, chopped
- 1 lb egg noodles
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- For the stock, in large pot, combine all ingredients and add just enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to the barest simmer and cook 4 hours, occasionally skimming the scum off the surface.
- Strain stock into a large bowl and discard solids except for chicken halves, set those aside.
- To make soup, in large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots and celery.
- Cook about 10 minutes.
- Add 6 cups stock.
- Cook 25 minutes, or until vegetables are very tender.
- Meanwhile, pull chicken into shreds from reserved chicken halves; discard skin and bones.
- Add chicken to stock, along with dill and noodles, and cook until noodles are al dente, 8-10 more minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper (the stock is unsalted; it may need more than you think).
- Serve hot.