Recipe by Auntie Mags
I first enjoyed a version of this in a little restaurant in Cozumel on a cliff overlooking the Caribbean Sea. The combination of salsa and cinnamon gives a zesty tropical taste to everyday chicken! If you can find the currants, they give a special complex flavor to the dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, raw
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1⁄2 cups salsa
- 1⁄4 cup dried currant
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken breasts into 1 inch pieces and spread over bottom of crock pot.
- Mix remaining ingredients in a large bowl and pour over chicken.
- Cook on "high" in crockpot for 1 hour.
- Turn crockpot to low and cook 6-8 hours.
- Serve over rice, pasta or in soft tortillas.
- Freezes well.