1/1 Photo of The Ultimate Breakfast Cookie
Galley Wench's Note:
Breakfast on the go! I've made some changes to my favorite oatmeal cookie recipe; incorporating peanut butter and molasses! They're so yummy!
My Private Note
large c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (3.4 oz.)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (3.4 oz.)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups rolled oats, old-fashioned (3 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped (4 ounces)
- 1 cup raisins (or other dried fruit)
- 1/2 cup toffee pieces (or chocolate chips can be substituted)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened but still cool
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- 3Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.
- 4In second bowl, stir together oats, pecans, dried fruit, and toffee or chocolate chips.
- 5In standing mixer (with flat beater) beat butter, peanut butter and sugar at medium speed until no sugar lumps remain, about 1 minute.
- 6Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula; add egg, molasses and vanilla and beat on medium-low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- 7Scrape down bowl; with mixer running at low speed, add flour mixture; mix until just combined, about 30 seconds.
- 8With mixer still running on low, gradually add oat/nut mixture; mix until just incorporated.
- 9Give dough final stir with rubber spatula to ensure that no flour pockets remain and ingredients are evenly distributed.
- 10The dough will seem dry, but resist the urge to add more liquid.
- 11Divide dough evenly into 16 portions, each about 1/4 cup, then roll between palms into balls about 2 inches in diameter; stagger 8 balls on each baking sheet, spacing them about 2 1/2 inches apart.
- 12Using hands, gently press each dough ball to 1 inch thickness.
- 13Bake both baking sheets 12 minutes, rotate them front to back and top to bottom, then continue to bake until cookies are medium brown and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (IMPORTANT -- cookies will seem underdone and will appear raw, wet, and shiny in cracks), about 7 minutes longer.
- 14DO NOT OVERBAKE!
- 15Cool cookies on baking sheets on wire rack 3 minutes; using wide metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack and cool to room temperature.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Ultimate Breakfast Cookie
Serving Size: 1 (1257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 328.0
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 24.6 mg
- Sodium 183.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 30.3 g
- Protein 5.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: