Recipe by ThatChick
this has become a favorite in my house since its discovery!!!!! Linguini with sun-dried tomatoes, spinach and pine nuts in a creamy cheese sauce made with milk, asiago cheese, parmesean cheese, sharp cheddar cheese, and black pepper.
Top Review by NcMysteryShopper
I had a bit of a problem with the cheese sauce; the first separated (heat to high) and the second was too thin - go figure. Once I added more cheese and some flour it came together nicely. I used frozen chopped spinach and dried sun-dried tomatoes. Everyone loved the "bits" in the bottom of their bowls the best. This was a very easy recipe and great use of the contest ingredients! Good Luck Chef!
- 1 lb whole wheat linguine
- 1.5 (10 ounce) jars sun-dried tomatoes (drained and chopped into large chunks or slivers)
- 2 cups finely chopped spinach
- 1 cup roasted pine nuts, chopped
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- garlic powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup asiago cheese
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- boil linguini until almost al-dente. strain and let sit.
- in large skillet, heat tomatoes on med-high heat in 1tsp. oil with plenty of garlic. salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 cup whole milk in sauce pan until sides begin to bubble. Add the sharp cheese, stirring frequently to prevent separation. Gradually add asiago cheese to allow it to melt properly. Add parmesean cheese, and add the black pepper last. Cover and simmer on "low" or "warm" if you have that option until pasta is finished. [this will take 6-8] minutes.
- Lower head to Medium in skillet.
- Throw linguini on top of tomatoes, tossing through to dispurse tomatoes evenly. Cook, covered, for 3 minutes.
- Turn heat back up to med high.
- Add pine nuts, cover, & cook for 3 minutes, untouched.
- Add chopped spinach [it should be chopped very fine, it should almost be able to pass for basil or oregano] and toss pasta. Let cook for 2 minutes or until warmed through, and transfer to large bowl.
- Stir sauce before spooning in over linguini.