Recipe by BecR
A big pitcher of this effervescent strawberry-lemonade is the perfect drink for summer barbecues and outdoor gatherings! From The Sweet Melissa Baking Book by Melissa Murphy.
For the strawberry syrup
- 1 cup chopped fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pinch salt
For the lemonade
- 1 cup very hot water
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh lemon juice (the juice from 4-5 large lemons)
- 4 1⁄2 cups cold sparkling water or 4 1⁄2 cups seltzer water
- granulated sugar, optional for rimming the glass
- 1 sprig of fresh lemon balm, optional to serve (melissa)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the strawberry syrup, combine the strawberries, sugar, lemon juice, water and salt in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Puree until smooth. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer to remove the seeds, pressing down to extract as much liquid as possible.
- To make the lemonade, combine the hot water and sugar in a pitcher. Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Mix in the lemon juice and water. Stir in the strawberry puree.
- To serve, rub a wedge of lemon or one of the spent lemon halves around the rim of a glass and then dip in sugar. Fill with ice if desired and then lemonade. Garnish with sliced lemon or strawberries or sprigs of fresh lemon balm. Serve immediately.