1/2 Photos of The Spaniard (Grilled Sandwich)
Laura Werlin says you could use smoked, sweet, medium-hot or spicy paprika. From Werlin's "Grilled Cheese Please! 50 Scrumptiously Cheesy Recipes."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pimentos, de la vera (Spanish paprika)
- 8 slices sandwich-size Italian bread
- 8 thin slices serrano ham (about 3 ounces) or 8 prosciutto (about 3 ounces)
- 4 ounces young mahon cheese, coarsely grated (you also can use fontina or American Muenster)
- 4 ounces manchego cheese, coarsely grated
- 4 fresh piquillo chilies, stems removed, slit lengthwise and opened like a book (can sub canned)
- 1In a small bowl, mix the butter and pimenton together.
- 2Spread the pimenton-butter mixture on one side of each of the bread slices. Place 4 slices of bread, buttered side down, on your work surface. Place 2 slices of ham on the bread. Distribute the cheeses over the ham. Lay the chiles over the cheese and top with the remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- 3Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. Put the sandwiches into the pan, cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until the undersides are golden brown. Remove the cover and turn the sandwiches, pressing each one firmly with a spatula to compress the filling slightly. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the undersides are well-browned. Turn the sandwiches once more, press firmly with the spatula again, cook for 1 minute, and remove from the pan. Let cool for 2 to 3 minutes. Cut in half and serve.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Spaniard (Grilled Sandwich)
Serving Size: 1 (121 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 271.4
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 33.4 mg
- Sodium 561.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 10.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: