Recipe by sweetp
Soooo good! Make it even better by serving with fresh whip cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I also like to use unsalted butter when making this.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter (cubed)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 5 -6 tablespoons very cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 4 teaspoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, cook sweet potatoes in water until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Drain reserving 1-1/2 cups cooking liquid.
- Layer sweet potatoes in a greased 13-in. x 2 inches baking dish; add reserved liquid.
- Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; sprinkle over potatoes. Dot with butter.
- For pastry, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, toss with a fork until a ball forms.
- On a floured surface, roll pastry into a 13-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Place over filling; cut slits in top. Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 400F for 30-35 minutes or until top is golden brown.