Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
The basic formula I came up with for making any tasty soup. Kinda a clean out the fridge what do you got recipe!
- 8 cups broth
- 4 -5 cups cooked vegetables (carrots, beans, mushrooms, peppers, sauteed onions, garlic, corn, or some grains combo like cooked r)
- 8 ounces chopped cooked turkey or 8 ounces cooked chicken or 8 ounces cooked beef or 8 ounces hot dogs or 8 ounces cooked fish
- 4 cups chopped spinach (optional) or 4 cups cabbage (optional) or 4 cups kale, etc. (optional)
- diced canned tomato (optional)
seasonings to taste
- ranch dressing mix (optional) or taco seasoning mix (optional)
To make a thick soup
What makes it yummier
- grated cheese
- fresh herb
- bacon bits
- toasted bread cubes
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- cheese, crisps
- In a pot, bring the broth to a simmer.
- Add the additional ingredients and heat until as hot as desired.
- If you want a thick soup dissolve corn starch in a bit of water to make a slurry.
- Slowy add the slurry to the finished soup on the stove and heat until thickened to your liking.
- Garnish each serving with the yummies!
- For Vegetarian: You must omit the chicken, pork, beef, fish, or even shellfish. The broth must also be vegetable. Do not include the bacon bits unless they are soy also.
For me this was a great way to clear the bottom bins in the fridge. I often get to the end of the week and turn the assortment of veggies remaining into a large tray of roasted vegetables. Did that today and turned some of that into the base of my soup. Mine included Vidalia onions, carrots, green beans, garlic cloves, red potatoes, zucchini and cremini mushrooms. To that, I added some turkey kielbasa and leftover chicken. (You really can use most anything.) Used the optional can of diced tomatoes and a tablespoon of Italian seasonings. Sounds like a lot but once the vegetables were roasted, it was less than 5 minutes to a great soup. The proportions were just right and the options infinite. A perfect recipe for someone just beginning to experiment and handy for seasoned chefs as well. Thanks!
The Soup Formula will enable even the most soup-challenged among us to produce a yummy bowl of soup. From now on there is no such thing as a left over, just things to make soup with.