- 4 large garlic cloves, lightly smashed
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 4 lbs plum tomatoes (very ripe, peeled, seeded, and chopped) or 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (Italian, drained)
- 8 -10 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, cook the garlic in the olive oil over medium heat, pressing it occasionally with the back of a spoon, until golden (about 4 minutes).
- Add the tomatoes and salt to taste.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until the sauce is thick (15-20 minutes, depending on the tomatoes).
- Stir in the basil leaves.
- Serve over hot cooked spaghetti or other pasta.
- Makes about 6 cups.