Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
How many of you remember the Big Boy restaurants? They had a great sandwich called the "Slim Jim". Well here is my version of that great sandwich. For a true Big Boy restaurant experience, you might want to serve this with onion rings on the side. Submitted to Zaar on August 6th, 2006.
- 2 hoagie rolls, split and lightly toasted
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomatoes
- 6 ounces of very thinly sliced brown sugar ham (i used two 3 ounce packages of hillshire deli selects lunch meat)
- 2 slices swiss cheese, cut in half making 4 pieces
- 4 teaspoons thousand island dressing, divided
- 4 dill pickle slices (optional)
- On top halves of toasted buns, spread each with two teaspoons of salad dressing; set aside.
- On a microwave safe plate, separate ham slices and heat through.
- Divide ham into two equal portions on the plate.
- Cover each portion with 2 slices of cheese overlapping each other.
- Heat until cheese is slightly melted.
- On bottom half of each bun, place in this order, 2 lettuce leaves, 2 tomato slices overlapping each other.
- Place cheese covered ham over tomato slices.
- Top with remaining bun. Cut sandwich on the slant (if you really want it to look like the real thing, put two pickle slices, one on each half and stick a toothpick in each pickle).
A nice change of pace for lunch! Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Oh how I miss them. I used to work there back in the day and we make the sandwich on our own from time to time just like yours.
I am unfamiliar with Big Boy restaurants, but we loved this sandwich. The thousand island dresing makes this sooo good. Thanks for posting.