Recipe by Adam & Nicci
This is a basic yellow cake recipe that can be transformed into just about any baked cake or bread you can think of. I have used this recipe as a basic yellow cake, a pineapple upside down cake, triple chocolate cake and even banana bread. It's incredibly versatile, and so simple. You'll never need to buy a box of cake mix again.
Top Review by Zaprudrr
I have made this cake several times and it always comes out a bit dry and it doesn't rise well at all,myabe I need to use cake flour instead of all purpose..the flavor is nice but I wouldn't use it as a layer cake...It would be great for strawberry shortcake or with a sauce poured on top....
- 2 cups cake flour or 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325°F Prepare two 8 inch round cake pans, or two 9x5 inch bread pans.
- In one bowl sift together first 3 ingredients.
- In a second bowl cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time until completely combined. Add vanilla.
- Add half of your dry mixture to half of your wet mixture, also adding half of your milk. Stir to combine then add remaining ingredients. Mix until combined and smooth.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 25-30 minutes depending on your oven.
- Remove cakes from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pans. Invert onto plates and allow to cool completely. Do what you like with them from there -- frost, soak with syrup, layer with fruit and ice cream. The sky's the limit. Enjoy.