Recipe by Chef Sharon 15
This soup is (almost) as easy as opening a can of condensed soup and is a great way to use up surplus tomatoes from the garden. My girls like to have grilled cheese sandwiches with it, cut in triangles that they can dip in the bowl! Wonderful year-round, comes from my mother, she doesn't remember the source.
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomatoes, canned
Directions See How It's Made
- Step One:.
- Melt the margarine in a med. size sauce-pot.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the margarine, stir thoroughly and cook over low heat about 1 minute.
- Step Two:.
- Add these ingredients to Part One, and bring to the boiling point, stirring constantly.
- As the tomato cooks, use a potato masher in the pot to break up the larger pieces of tomato. The soup shouldn't be smooth, but should have small bits of tomato floating in it.
- I use frozen tomatoes, I just let them thaw a little before I add them to the pot, remove the peels before serving.