Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by FairyJeste84
I found this recipe in FamilyFun magazine and it turned out great! Most of the cranberry apple pies revolve around the apple but this pie puts equal cranberry and apple so it's great for cranberry lovers! Sadly I had no left overs so this year I baked 2.
- 9 inch unbaked pie shells, refrigerated
- 473.18 ml fresh cranberries (picked over for stems)
- 2 large apples, peeled, quartered, cored, and thinly sliced crosswise
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml fresh lemon juice
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 59.14 ml cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the cranberries and apples in a large mixing bowl; stir to combine.
- Stir in the sugar, lemon juice, and flour; set aside for 10 minutes.
- Scrape the filling into the chilled pie crust; smooth the top with your hands.
- Place pie on the center rack of a 400° oven; bake for 30 minutes.
- While the pie is baking, make the topping--in a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and cinnamon; add in the butter and rub it into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Take the pie out of the oven and lower oven temperature to 375°.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the filling and press gently to compact.
- Return pie to oven--rotate pie so that the part that faced the back of the oven now faces the front (put a foil-lined baking sheet onto the rack below to catch any spills).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the juices bubble thickly aroung the edge.
- Put pie on a wire rack to cool for at least 1 hour before serving.