Recipe by Dustbunni
I adapted this recipe from one my husband used to make with ground beef. I prefer ground turkey. This pie slices easily. Serve it with a salad and bread.
Top Review by Mimi Bobeck
I am resubmitting a new review because the recipe has been corrected. I have re-made this recipe after the corrections were made and would like to give it a higher rating since it came out much better with the corrections. I think this version of Shepherd's pie is much leaner version than the original recipe, which is just soooo full of fat. What I really liked about this recipe is you get all of the flavor for much less fat and cholesterol. I used 95% lean ground turkey. Also, I used mashed potatos from real potatos, not the boxed powdered potatos. Delish and lean! Thank you for sharing Dustbunni!!!!!
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄3 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 15 soda crackers, crumbed (I use soda crackers with unsalted tops. If you use soda that have the salted tops, then cut back the)
- 1 egg
- 3 cups mashed potatoes, use your left-overs
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl mix the ground turkey, onion, celery, garlic, seasonings, soda cracker crumbs and egg.
- Pat the turkey mixture into a 9-inch microwave-safe pie dish.
- Cook on high for 7 minutes, or until just done.
- Microwave cook time may be more or less for your microwave, so watch carefully.
- "Frost" with mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake until the pie is heated through and the cheese is melted.
- About 20 minutes.