Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
New York's famous for pizza and cheesecake. But there's a little hidden secret sandwich type in The Bronx, my homeland. Even if you were unaware of this regional delicacy, you will enjoy it :)
- 1 large cod fish fillet
- 1⁄3 cup panko breadcrumbs, bread flakes
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil, for frying
- 1 egg, well-beaten
- 3⁄4 teaspoon seafood seasoning (La Flor makes it and so do some other companies)
- 2 slices American cheese
- 2 slices thick seedless rye bread (can also be served on thick sandwich breads or a hamburger bun)
- Rinse the cod thoroughly then dry it off.
- Beat the egg well, and dip the cod in it coating thoroughly.
- Mix the panko and seafood seasoning together in a shallow dish.
- Coat the cod with the seasoned panko.
- Fry the cod in the canola oil on low heat until tender and golden-brown, and blot on paper towels when done frying.
- Place one slice of cheese on each piece of bread, then put the fried cod between them.
- Serve with french fries, potato wedges, or a baked potato and enjoy.