Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
From The Williamsburg Lodge, Williamsburg, VA. Add a bowl of soup and you have a delicious meal.
Top Review by Roosie
Oh! This was *delicious*!!! I let the cabbage mix sit in the fridge for a couple hours to let the flavors blend and grilled this on my George Foreman grill. (I brushed the slices of bread with butter). Terrific flavor combo- the ham and cabbage mix went fantastically together. I think this would go well with other cheeses too like swiss or gouda. The crisp, and tangy/spicy cabbage went wonderfully with the melted cheddar and sweet ham. I used red cabbage, mango chutney, black forest ham and sourdough rye. Served with Jamaican Golden Split Pea Soup (#25938), which was a lovely flavor combo. Wonderful sandwich! Would definitely make again.
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup commercial chutney
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 12 slices ham (12 oz)
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 12 slices rye bread
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix together the first 5 ingredients; set aside.
- Put 2 ham slices, 1/2 cup cabbage mixture, and 1 cheese slice on 6 bread slices; top with remaining slices of bread to make sandwiches.
- Spread outside of sandwiches with butter.
- Place sandwiches in hot skillet; cook for 1 minute or until golden; turn over and cook until golden and cheese begins to melt.
- Serve immediately.