Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
The best chili in the world, guaranteed.
- 1⁄2 lb smoked bacon
- 3 -4 lbs chuck
- 2 large onions
- 2 -4 garlic cloves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons good chili powder
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- masa harina (or cornstarch and water)
- In a heavy pot, render the bacon until crisp, then add the meat and fry in batches so it browns. Scoop out the meat and set aside.
- Cook the onions and garlic in the fat until soft. If you're worried about health, drain off the extra fat at this point.
- Add the chile powder, paprika, cumin and salt; fry for bit and put the meat back in pan. Toss everything around so it's well coated. Add enough water to cover, put a heavy lid on it and simmer for a couple hours.
- When it's close to serving, stir in some masa harina or cornstarch and water to thicken a little.
- Serve it with chopped onion, chiles, and cilantro if you want.