The " Rock Your World" Chili
- In a heavy pot, render the bacon until crisp, then add the meat and fry in batches so it browns. Scoop out the meat and set aside.
- Cook the onions and garlic in the fat until soft. If you're worried about health, drain off the extra fat at this point.
- Add the chile powder, paprika, cumin and salt; fry for bit and put the meat back in pan. Toss everything around so it's well coated. Add enough water to cover, put a heavy lid on it and simmer for a couple hours.
- When it's close to serving, stir in some masa harina or cornstarch and water to thicken a little.
- Serve it with chopped onion, chiles, and cilantro if you want.